meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Monday, January 30, 2006

Dye Day


Today, finally, it's Dye Day. The dyes have been waving from the utility room, saying, mememe, use me now...so I did. I now have sundry buckets and bowls filled with dye and cloth, instead of the jugs of dye pictured here. As you can see, there's Not Much Room...and no sink. Dyeing without a sink is not easy. But it is possible.

And, of course, nothing in this house is ever simple.
I like dyeing...but increasingly, I find I want to make cloth With Marks On. That, of course, means resists...and I've got a new toy, ostensibly for my encaustic painting, a special palette that allows me to melt wax on it, at the right temperature, without fuss. So I played with that, today. Not entirely convinced that I got it Right...but then, getting it right isn't quite what this is about, is it?

Only problem is, now I've set up the encaustics stuff, I want to go play with that, now. So after lunch, that's what I'll do, methinks. Premixed encaustic paints are lovely things, and very quick to work with, almost too quick, sometimes. Still, if you don't like the end result, you can always melt it off and start again! So I'm off to do some prep work before lunch, sticking some watercolour paper onto hardboard as a base for the encaustics. I haven't done this in a while, and I find myself really quite excited about it. As Robin is away overnight, I can play for as long as I like without having to think about things like meals, and being sociable (arguably I don't do the latter anyway!)

Hope you have fun today, too.

1 comment:

Rayna said...

I liked encaustics - and still have the paints. But I like batik even better (with soy wax, of course). One of these days I'll get back to encaustics. Is there ever enough time???