meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Friday, January 06, 2006

Yes, But Is It A Quilt? or A Rose By Any Other Name


I made this piece a while back, one of the 'Flying Dreams' series. It's roughly journal quilt sized (A4). It started off as a small, pieced and quilted piece, which I then painted on. I didn't like what I got, so I painted on it again, and it became this somewhat angel-like figure of sorts, and there I stopped.

Yes, said a friend. But what is it? Is it a quilt, or is it a painting? Err...said I. I don't know. Finally, I said it was a quilted painting. Or a painted quilt. One or the other.

But why does it matter? Of course, it does to some folks. Fine artists would probably say it's a quilt. Quilters would say it's a painting. The cynics among us would suspect that the difference between the former and the latter would be about £100.

I know one thing for sure: the piece doesn't mind. It doesn't care what you call it...and neither do I.

1 comment:

Felicity Grace said...

I find words scary so your thoughts on them are interesting. But as you also say, it is important to some people to put labels on art. That's what is scary, that words mean something very important and specific! I use them in a very loose 'ballpark' way and hope for the best!