meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Friday, February 10, 2006

Digital Drawing or Aloha, Arashi!



This piece is a reaction to Arashi. Well, not Arashi, in person...more his work. On his blog recently, he showed a piece of digital work, that was responding to my work with photocopies. Well, he said it was for me. In public. So I wrote and said, can I play with it? He, very graciously, agreed. So here are the results.

I love working digitally. It's clean, it's quick, it involves no tidying up other than switching the machine off and deleting the failures...sorry, steps on the learning curve... you don't waste anything, either.

I find that digital working often sparks something off for other artistic endeavours. I also print out the finished piece, often cut it up and use it in other works. The ultimate flexible medium.

2 comments:

Terri said...

I'm glad you added the last paragraph because I was thinking "but it's so two dimensional...so non-tactile...so...." well you get the drift. Honestly, things done digitally can be very impressive, but they have a coldness to them. They lack the real tactile 'hands-on' look that working with the physical piece gives. Maybe they are just too perfect. There is now trace of the learning, the processes that have gone in to creating them. Having said that, I do like these two pics very much. Now go and make them (or versions inspired by them) up in fabric or paint!! :o)

Lynn said...

I love what you did with the original image. I understand what terri is saying about the lack of dimension and that special tactile sense, but you think of it this way: you could take a photo of a piece you're working on that perhaps needs something, manipulate the image digitally, and thus come up with new ideas as to how to proceed with fabric, paint, stitch, whatever. (I must admit it was my husband who thought of that. And good on him!)