meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Slow And Steady...


wins the race, they say. I seem to have been running up and down, doing all sorts of things, without a minute to think straight. The occasional nap got in there, I admit, but that doesn't count. I found myself sitting in the car, yesterday, waiting for something. It struck me that we talk about 'killing time', but in fact, it's impossible to kill time, or to use it in anyway other than to our benefit, if we stay in the moment, and look at what's around us. Yesterday, I saw the beauty of the countryide, the way the blossom on a hedge danced in a light breeze, smelled its fragrance in the air, watched the clouds flutter by. I thought of everything, and nothing. And it felt good. I know that I have things to do for the rest of this month, the house to tidy for Robin's mother's visit, dyeing to do, correspondence to deal with, doubtless telephone calls to take and make...not to mention a bit of painting... But I do want to take time, every day, to sit still and do nothing, preferably in the garden with a cat on my lap and a cup of coffee. Yesterday, I remembered how good it feels to Just Be There...

The painting is a work in progress, another of the 'In More Than One Language' series. It's intruiguing to watch it develop...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Marion, that epiphany when you recognize the power and necessity of doing nothing is an important one. We really need to find a word to replace "nothing."

It's more like a disconnected meditative state. "Nothing" means we function on a different plane. One that does not function semantically. It is a space where all sorts of work gets done and then waits until we are rested and ready to allow it to fall out of our fingers. Sometimes it unknowingly falls out of our mouths. "Nothing" is a very good thing. thelma

ACey said...

This spring I started the practice of Do Nothing hours, usually taken amonst my garden beds where there are always plenty of things to do. It is now a cherished part of my routine, and I believe this enhances the way I use my energy the rest of the time.

Love reading this post!