meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Wishing


In the last few days, I've received a couple of those circular emails, you know the kind... They have an uplifting message, a picture or two and an exhortation to send it on to at least six/ten/twenty or however many people. And you get to make a wish before you do it, and if you follow the directions, you get your wish granted. A sort of spiritual chain letter.

I don't like these things, much, but I don't feel strongly about them, either way. So, I tend not to pass them on, unless there's something in them that I think is pertinent to a particular person. What struck me, though, with the last two, is that I have nothing to wish for. I live an abundant life. It did cross my mind that I could wish to be rid of the demon depression...but actually, that's a part of me. It may not be pleasant to live with, but it is authentic, and it does help me to live a balanced life. When I do want something, I go out and find it, one way or another. For example, when we moved down here, I wanted a kiln for working with clay. Two years on, I still don't own a kiln, but I have found a kiln that I can use when I want to. I'm not a believer in wishing; it seems to be a focus on what I don't have. I much prefer to count my blessings, be grateful for what I do have, and work with it, share it, spread it around. Work out what I want, and make it happen. All in all, it seems like a good way to live and to be.

3 comments:

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Very well said Marion, I also concur! When I do make wishes I usually am making them for external reasons as opposed to internal.
I'm glad that you had such a good time at the show. And a critique class with Michael James, cool!

Felicity Grace said...

Lovely post Marion! I can't think of anything sadder than a person who only realises how much they had only when it's gone.

Anonymous said...

Good post.
BTW I hope against hope that blue feather photo is fabric? If it is, it has my name on it!