meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2007

In The Zone


This is a small part of the top section of a new quilt, Peaks and Troughs, which will be shown at theLyon exhibition this year. I'm still delighted to have been invited to show work there, and I'm looking forward to teaching a lutradur workshop too. I've been working on some new things for that exhibit, and though I'd intended to take some older works, almost all of the work I'll be showing there is new, and all of it uses either lutradur or evolon. It's also all larger than I usually work, though not much, no shocks there, I can't see myself ever working the size that Sally achieves

I've been working hard all week...well, I say hard...how hard are you working when you can drink as much coffee as I do...sigh...or talk as much on the phone as I do (usually with the aforementioned Sally, come to think of it...how does she manage to make such large quilts?). But there's a real feeling of flow about the work, and it's a joy to be in that state. If you're interested, there's a book by Mihali Csikszentmihalyi, Flow, The Psychology Of Happiness, which is interesting reading. It's not a self help book, more a suggestion of some principles that lead to happiness, and examples of people who have used them for themselves...it doesn't, however, tell you what to do! Which is just as well, as I'm known for being contrary and doing the absolute opposite of what I'm told...sigh...

I'm planning to work this way for the rest of the week, get all the pieces finished, or at least, only requiring their sleeves, and perhaps do some dye painting to boot. Purr. My idea of a good week. Hope yours is as happy, creative and enjoyable as I intend mine to be...

No comments: