meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Friday, July 27, 2007

Salthouse Revisited


Every year, the village of Salthouse hosts a contemporary art exhibition in their local parish church, curated each year by a different artist (this year, James Colman). I wrote about it this time last year, and popped back to see this year's show, subtitled 'Spirit of the Age'. It was well worth the trip, and I may well go back again to sit with my particular favourites. I was really struck by the work of Geoffrey Lefever; in the programme, his statement reads; 'My work is non-representational. However, place is important for me in the making process. I work, for the most part, out of doors with natural found tools and a limited range of materials. I hope to be surprised by the outcome and at that stage to be uncertain exactly how the work had evolved.' If you click on the Salthouse link in the text above, his painting 'Orchard Painting No 1' is the piece suspended behind the lamp. I loved the quirkyness of Mike Rhodes' 'Thomas', one of the few three dimensional pieces in the show, and was drawn to the power of Denis Clarke's 'Wild Head'. There are several photographs of the exhibit here; worth having a look. And definitely worth a visit. The image is of the front of the catalogue, reproduced here with permission.

On the way in, I visited Debbie Osborn's studio; Debbie wasn't there (get well soon, won't you), but her husband was around, and showed me a photograph of a skirt Debbie had added some of my nuno felt to. Apparently it was worn to Ladies Day at Ascot by its proud purchaser. Sadly, I don't have a photograph...another time, perhaps. When I've found my camera, which has disappeared without trace...anyone seen a camera?

2 comments:

Arashi said...

Marion check yourt mail arashi

Jenny Bowker said...

Stand in the middle of the room, close your eyes, and say aloud "Dear St Anthony, please come round, something's lost and can't be found".

Then start looking again.

NO - I am not either religious or even superstitious, but a bit bewildered that this frequently works.

Just like saying your father's name aloud when you get to the place where you really really want a park for your car.