meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Sunday, July 01, 2007

There I Was...


waiting for a plane at St Exupery airport (which is a beautiful building, incidentally, Sandy has photos...), minding my own business, browsing the bookshelves...and I found THIS...a special issue of (art absolument) (absolute art), marking an exhibit by Anselm Kiefer at the Grand Palais. I couldn't possibly resist such a beautiful thing, one of my favourite artists...the magazine is full of incredible photographs of the work, an interview with the artist, and analysis of the exhibit itself. If you have to wait for a plane, there are much worse things to read than this...

I find Kiefer to be a personal inspiration, because he works in so many different media, successfully, managing to bring together all kinds of ways and means of working in a seamless whole. It is something I aspire to, but am far from achieving. Perhaps the clarity of thought I achieved in Lyon about my subject matter and how to approach it will help with this...or perhaps not. Perhaps it's a question of discipline, more than anything. I don't know. As the Russians say, we shall live on, and we shall see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Keifer's work too. I'd seen a film or two and then an exhibition in Munich several years ago that blew me away! Oh, and I've been enjoying your blog and your lovely work for some time now but am not sure if I've ever commented before, so it's a good time to say 'hi'.

artmixter said...

Hi, back to you...glad to meet a fellow fan of Kiefer...

Dianne said...

Wow Marion I had never heard of him and so looked him up.. He is fabulous in all mediums, nice to be so talented.. You to work in different mediums and you are also a true artist inspiring us all..