meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Underthought?


This little thing is only eight inches square. Having talked about how long we can take to think things over, I thought I'd post something that took less than an hour to make, start to finish. I can hear the sharp intakes of breath from here!! But it is possible to work fast, or quick and dirty, if you like, given that much of what I used in this piece came from the floor...a good way of tidying up if ever I had one.

The piece was made as part of the 'sheep' challenge on AlternativeQuiltList a couple of years ago. There had been a spirited conversation about a poet who got a grant of several thousand pounds in order to have a flock of sheep, each with a word pinned on it, so that she could make random poems from the way the flock positioned itself. If you see what I mean... That turned into a challenge for us to make a piece from four random words. To make it a bit more interesting, the piece had to be small, and, for the diehards among us, had to be finished in no more than an hour, including design.

The words that inspired this particular piece were, 'undiscovered', 'sheep', 'glorious', and 'silence'. It is so long ago that I no longer remember how those words produced this particular piece, other than I think I focussed on the last two. It's not great art. But I'm quite fond of it, and it works for me. At the end of the day, though, I'm not actually aiming to produce Great Art...I just want to express myself. And that is undeniably what I do.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Hey Marion.
This piece is so you, you definatly have a style of your won and I think I could pick it out of a crowd. I really like it and done under an hour you go girl...