meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Too Much Of A Good Thing?


That 'you can never have too many books' has always been my motto. But I've been going through my books, recently, and realised that there was a significant pile in the corner of the bedroom that hadn't been looked at, or even touched. Some of them are art books, too... including the French art books I bought in Paris. Tut, I thought, I really do have too many books.

And then I thought about it. I really do believe that you can never have too many books. So something in my thinking was wrong... and it turned out that it was the amount of time that I give to reading and reflection that was too small, rather than the number of books being too large. Today, I've been wandering around being quiet in deference to Robin's migraine, champing at the bit to get going and do some machine quilting on the new Texture of Memory piece. And I did get some productive things done, some parcels wrapped, some of them Etsy orders, some gifts, and I did go to the post office and send them, too. But it strikes me, writing this, that I could have spent the time being still, reading something, or just looking at something, contemplating the universe and generally being with myself. Perhaps tomorrow.

The image is 'Back To Blue', an ACEO monoprint. I like its directness. Hope you do, too.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I think that is so true Marion. Since I started blogging I spend hardly any time reading and all my new textile and art books are sitting unread too. I love blogging but balance would be good too....maybe then I'd get some art done. :)
I love the texture you have achieved with this ACEO.

Eli. J Jewelry said...

This painting is gorgeous! I could stare all day into the layers of texture....

Shirley Goodwin said...

This piece screams "high up in the mountains" to me - very appealing.