meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sixteen Small Quilt Tops...


waiting to be stitched... sing along...(to the tune of Ten Green Bottles!)...and if one small quilt top, was stitched along the ditch, there'd be fifteen small quilt tops, waiting to be stitched...

As you can see from the image, some of them are very small indeed. It started out as an activity with my friend Jill; with my scrap box, augmented with some of the fabric I was given by the Bunis family, we set to making small quilt tops. Jill made one single, complex piece; I went for quantity and simplicity. And then, while demonstrating at the exhibition, I managed to complete a few more. So when Jill and I met up for our regular Tuesday afternoon session (every second Tuesday), it seemed to make sense to get the quilts ready for quilting, along with some lutradur and evolon pieces that were ready to be worked on. So, sixteen in all.

I had forgotten what fun it is to work with random amounts and types of fabric, putting them together in the best possible way, stitching into them. Improvisational piecing, to give it its Sunday name. Believe me, I won't forget again! Working in a seemingly random way epitomises my approach to art in general... make a mark, make another mark, respond... It's a question of trusting one's judgement. And allowing oneself to have fun!

5 comments:

Nuvofelt said...

Get going with that quilting. I want to see them finished......!
;0)

UniqueNurseGranny said...

Allows for a variety too,which alwats appeals to me when working.

Jamie Fingal said...

They all look really interesting. I can't wait to see them all lined up with the quilting on them. Will you post again to share? Love the colors.

TheresaJ said...

That's fabulous and they're wonderful! I totally agree -- randomness and following your own creativity is so much more rewarding than following patterns.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.