meta name="p:domain_verify" content="c874e4ecbd59f91b5d5f901dc03e5f82"/>

Pages

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Before And After



Barbara, one of the Well members, her son Shed and I spent yesterday doing the final hang for the Blickling show which opens tomorrow (yes, tomorrow...doesn't time fly when you're having fun!). I'm going to start a blog specifically for The Well, but for now, I thought I'd show you part of the textile bit of the exhibit. The first photo is of the pieces resting where I thought they would go; the second, shows them as we finally hung them.


The quilts here range across a longish period of time, but they aren't hung chronologically. Which do you think is the oldest, and which the newest? And which the collaboration (you should know the answer to that last question if you were reading last year!).


Hanging an exhibition is an intruiguing thing to do. It teaches you things about your art that you didn't know before. I have a number of paintings exhibiting here, in another room. Most of them talk to each other. Three of them didn't, however. It turned out, when I thought about it, that the three that didn't, were made in Inverness. The rest had been made in the two years since I came here to Norfolk. A shift of palette, a slight change in approach made a big difference. Perhaps it's the light here, or the different landscape, or a change in my head...who knows? I was conscious of leaving very new work at home; I didn't think it fitted with the work I was taking. Perhaps that's another new stage? Who knows.

No comments: